When Gill Tree adopter, former foster carer and the of Adoption Academy advertised a free webinar on stress management on an adopters forum and got 120 people signed up within 3 days, she realised there was a huge need and Adoption Academy was created as a social enterprise.
With a background in community development and twenty years teaching stress management to industry, Gill is well placed to provide specialist services to Adoption and Fostering Agencies. Gill also owned a leading school of massage prior to fostering and adoption and through that, started creating e-learning courses in 2006.
Other people working for Adoption Academy are specialists in their field (eg trauma, social workers and therapists trained in Solution Focused Therapy).
After running extensive trials and pilots we launched in September 2016 our first course “Building Resilience to Stress Less” both as in house training and an e-course.
Whilst the advent of the adoption support fund has been extremely welcome, parents if and when they do access support can still experience huge levels of stress whilst waiting for therapies to take effect. Stress can often be placed on marriages and partnerships- the beauty of our e-course is that access to it is instant and partners can do the course together.
Here is what one adopter had to say “As a relatively experienced adopter, many years in to a stressful journey, with a complex child, living with challenging, sometimes extreme behaviour, I wasn’t too sure what to expect. What could it do for me that the other numerous training courses, variety of groups and forums have failed to achieve over the years? I wondered if the course might be geared towards prospective or new adoptive parents, rather than the more battle weary amongst us. I could not have been more wrong!”
And a Foster carer “"Genuinely this really has helped me and my family.
I have been able to easily access the site, log on and follow on from where I left off.
When I initially printed off the work book my initial thought was “how many activities”?!!!
With nothing to lose I set to. Prepared, I pressed play. Gill was very easy to listen to, smiley, humorous and more importantly understanding and honest.
The course is well thought out, the videos are not too long, the Activities are simple to follow with great prompts and for the sheer fact that I had to stop, sit down, relax and listen, was a joy and not a chore. " Alex B
Feature and Benefits of Our E-Learning
Participants will be able to:
· Benefit from 20 hours of training in the comfort of their own home
· Have access 24/7 for one year, to learn at times to fit in with their lifestyle and at their own pace (this can be extended)
· Learn with a partner and support each other for no extra cost, making the learning more effective and more likely to become embedded within the household
· Learn in bite size chunks of 10-15 minutes to fit around commitments
· Enjoy being taught by experts who are also adopters/foster carers through film based courses
· Pause, stop and rewind the film as needed to embed the learning
· Study from anywhere in the world on pc, mac, tablet or smart phone, eliminating costly travel to a class
· Re-watch each lesson as frequently as required to refresh understanding
· Learn by doing through activities to ensure assimilation of information
· Recap and join in with a downloadable workbook
· Benefit from the highest level of teaching for less than the cost of a live course
· Enjoy a variety of teaching methods to make learning easier and fun
· Access mentoring support for an additional fee
Member of the International Stress Management Association
GM Tree Training Ltd
5 Clumber Drive
Somerset BA11 2LG
T: +44 (0)203 553 1060
© 2021 GM Tree Training Ltd, All rights reserved